CHARTER of the JAPAN ASSOCIATION for COMPARATIVE POLITICS|
The name of the Association shall be "Japan Association for Comparative Politics".
The objectives of the Association shall include enhancement of the study of comparative politics and promotion of cooperation with similar academic bodies overseas as well as coordination among researchers of comparative politics.
The activities of the Association shall include, in pursuit of the objectives prescribed in the preceding Article,
- furthering cooperation among researchers of comparative politics in Japan and abroad;
- holding an annual general meeting, conferences and lecture meetings of an academic character and publishing the journal of the Association;
- maintaining friendly ties and cooperation with academic bodies overseas; and
- other activities recognized as appropriate by the Board of Councilors.
The membership of the Association shall consist of those who are engaged in the study of comparative politics and have received the recommendation of two members of the Association and whose applications have been approved by the Board of Councilors.
- Every member shall pay membership fees in compliance with the regulations promulgated by the General Meeting.
- The Board of Councilors may consider those members who have failed to pay their annual fees for more than three years as having voluntarily withdrawn from the Association.
The association shall have the following officers:
- President, Vice-President, Secretary General (one each);
- Board of Councilors members (not more than twenty-five ); and
- Auditors (two).
- Eighteen members of the Board of Councilors shall be elected by general membership and the President and Vice-President shall be elected by the Board of Councilors from among its members.
- The President may appoint several Board of Councilors members, which must be approved by the Board of Councilors.
- The President shall appoint the Secretary General.
- The President shall appoint Auditors.
- Approval of the General Meeting is required for being installed as President, Vice-President, Secretary General, Board of Councilors members and Auditors.
The Officers shall be elected for a period of two years, from the day of their election, without prejudice to their eligibility for reelection.
- The President shall represent the Association and the Vice-President shall assist the President as well as act as President in cases where the President is unable to perform his or her function.
- Members of the Board of Councilors shall constitute such Board and have the authority to decide, administer and carry out the business of the AssociationB
- With approval of the Board of Councilors, the President may appoint administrative staff and may delegate them to carry out some of the business of the Association.
The Auditors shall examine the state of the treasury and the accounts of the Association, and review their use for the purposes of the Association.
- The General Meeting shall be held at least once a year.
- The holding and summons of extraordinary sessions of the General Meeting shall be provided for in the by-laws.
- Notification of the General Meeting shall be made in writing by the Board of Councilors in principle at least one month prior to the scheduled date.
- The decisions of the General Meeting shall be made by majority of the members present.
Amendment of the present Charter must be approved by at least two-thirds of the votes cast by the members present at the General Meeting.
Dissolution of the Association shall be provided for in the by-laws.
This Charter shall come into effect on the 27th day of June 1998.